Crockpot Chana Saag – Chickpea Spinach Curry.
- ¾ cup dried chickpeas, soaked for at least 4 hours in warm water
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 hot green chile, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- ½ tsp each ground cumin, garam masala, paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1.5 cups water (1 cup for less stewy dish)
- ¾ tsp or more salt
- 2-3 packed cups chopped spinach, chard or combination greens (10 to 12 oz)
- 1 cup non dairy milk (thicker milks do better like coconut milk or cashew milk or soy milk, or use almond milk blended with 2-3 tbsp cashews)
- 1 tbsp or more lemon juice
- cayenne and garam masala for garnish
- Drain the soaked chickpeaas, wash well, drain and set aside.
- Press Saute on the Instant pot. Let the pot get hot for 2 mins. Add oil and spread using a spatula.
- Meanwhile. Mince and mix together or process the onion, ginger, garlic and hot chile. Add to the hot oil. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the spices(cumin garam masala, paprika, coriander) and mix in. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Mash the larger pieces.
- Add washed and drained chickpeas, salt and water. Close the lid and put the knob on sealing.
- Press Manual for 25 to 30 minutes. I usually cook for 30 minutes to be on the safe side as older chickpeas take a bit longer to cook.
- Quick release after 10 mins. Press saute. Fold in the greens and non dairy milk.. Taste and adjust salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cayenne and lemon juice and mix in. Serve hot over rice or with roti or naan.
Variations: add 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) or ½ tsp amchur or both.
For creamier result, use ¾ cup coconut milk or non dairy milk + ¾ cup water instead of 1.5 cups water to cook. Or use an immersion blender to blend some of the cooked mixture. The blended chickpeas will thicken it up.
Saucepan: Follow steps 1 to 4 in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 15 oz can chickpeas(drained), or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas, salt and ½ cup nondairy milk. Cook for 10 minutes. Fold in the greens, and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add cayenne and lemon.
With soaked chickpeas, add 1.5 cups water and ½ cup non dairy milk and cook partially covered for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender to preference. Then fold in the greens.