Simple Kale Soup
A simple fave for everyone ! Quick easy dinner, that tastes like heaven and is good for you too ! Enjoy
- 5 tablespoons ghee/ tahini or olive oil for vegan alternative
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped ( sub for any veggies or lentils of choice, i typically opt for broccoli or cauliflower since I try to stay away from potatoes)
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2-3 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 2 cups coconut milk unsweetened
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Heat the ghee in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and veggies and saute until golden brown, 5-8 minutes, sprinkling with salt and pepper. Add 6 cups of the broth and the kale; simmer for 5-10 minutes until the kale softens and becomes a darker green.
- Transfer the soup to a heavy-duty blender. Puree for 2-3 minutes or until the soup is completely smooth. Transfer the pureed soup back the pan and stir in the milk and the remaining 2 cups broth depending on how thick you want the soup to be. Season with salt and pepper. Great topped with parsley or cilantro, with pumpkin seeds for a crunch! Option to serve with hummus and veggies
This recipe is very adaptable – add more herbs, use more veggies, more kale, more broth, etc. Also note: the more kale you add, the more bright green your soup will be! Also, the longer you cook the onions and veggies the more it “dulls” the flavor. You want them to be sauteed and golden, but not totally mushy.
Let me know what you added !