Sugar Free Nanaimo Bars
I had made my list,
Checked it twice
making sure to include my “Wellness wants” so other’s would know just what to spoil me with this year,
I mean I have been nice all year haven’t I?
Yet each item I included didn’t really capture my true want.
The one that I had hoped for, and spent all my Christmas wishes on,
the one that was near impossible
My little sister home for Christmas.
It Had been two long , longggg years since I had seen my best friend, my hippie soul and the source of my constant laughter. New Zealand was too far away.
This wish seemed like a fairy tale, until that snowy Decemeber Thursday when I walked into my living room to see my Christmas Miracle.
My little sister standing there, in her favourite flannel and beautiful long dreads ( paying more attention to the dog than me might I add)
This is truly going to be the best Christmas & In honour of her unexpected return I decided to DEBUNK one of her favourite treats to keep everyone Stevia&Spice approved this holiday
VEGAN NANAIMO BARS
- 1½ cups Oats Ground to powder ( quinoa option for grain free)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour or 1 1/2 cup of almond flour
- Crust option ( my preference instead of oats and flour)
- 1 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1 cup Unsweetened nut butter
- OPTION: 1 tsp Ghee
- ½ cup Chopped Almonds, Pecans or Walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup + 3 tbs Unsweetened Coconut Yogurt BEST BRAND !!! —> http://www.yoso.ca/Or Full fat Coconut Milk ( option for unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- ¼ cup Neutral Nut Butter (like cashew or almond)
- 3 tbs UNSWEETENED NATURAL Custard Powder (option below for custard alternative)
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Aquafaba to fluff into a whip ( chickpea juice)
- Option: 2 tsp Stevia Extract
- Option: 1 tsp Ghee
FOR THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line an 8″ brownie pan with parchment paper both ways.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, coconut, cocoa powder and salt.
- Stir in the nut butter, aquafaba and ghee, then the optional nuts and ingredients (mixture should be soft yet thick cookie dough).
- Press mixture into the prepared pan and flatten. Dock the crust every inch or so, bake for ~22 minutes, or until firm to touch. Let sit on the counter while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
FOR THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, nut butter and extracts.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powders and custard powder. Dump into the wet ingredients and fold together (mixture should be very thick, like cookie dough)
- Scoop over the slightly warm crust and flatten.
FOR THE TOPPING:
- Add the chocolate to a small, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring between each one, until melted. Or use double boiler if available
- Stir in the coconut oil, then stir in the stevia extract.
- Pour over the filling layer and tap the pan so that the chocolate spreads to all the corners of the pan. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until chocolate is just set.
- Take the pan out of the fridge and slice into bars.
**If you don’t have the custard powder, this is the filling I recommend: